Conservation Areas in Nepal
1.Annapurna conservation area
The Annapurna Conservation Area is Nepal’s largest protected area covering 7,629 km2 in the Annapurna range of the Himalayas across the Mustang,kaski,Myagdi,Manang and Lamjungdistricts.The area has been a smash hit in the world of conservation. Perhaps this is the area that pioneered a successful conservation without armed personnel. With the help of the local people, this highland could be well protected. With a trekking circuit from mid hills to the foothills of the Himalayas – Annapurna region covers an area of 7629 sq. km. Beginning from 790 m, the highest altitude reaches 8091 m of the Mountain Annapurna 1. This is the most visited trekking area in the mountain region. More than 60000 visitors every year. The Annapurna Conservation Area offers innumerable sights of water falls, mountains, natural flowers and rural settlements. If you trek from the west you will be travelling along the Kali Gandaki River. Apart from natural sights, the area is rich with flora and fauna. There are above 1200 plants with around 40 orchids and 9 species of rhododendron the national flower. There are around 100 mammals including the rare snow leopard and blue sheep in the upper sub-alpine area, 478 species of birds such as the protected multi-coloured Impheyan, koklas and blood pheasants. 39 reptiles and 22 amphibians and many types of butterflies in the area.
2.Kanchanjunga Conservation area
The Kangchenjunga Conservation Area lies in the Taplejung district, bordered by Sikkim(India) in the east and Tibet (China) in the north. The area represents high mountain physiographic regions with 65% of its area covered by rocks and ice. The remaining 35% is covered by forests 14.1%. shrubland 10.1%, Grassland 9.2% and Agricultural land 1.6%. The area is well know for its three river valley: the SimbuaKhola, the Ghunsa and the Tamur valleys. The area is made up of alpine grass lands, rocky outcrops, dense temperate and sub-tropical forests, and low river valleys with the Kanchanjunga as its crow. The Kanchanjunga Conservation Area can be synonymized as a repository of flora and fauna.During the spring season, the area has an excellent display of flowering rhododendrons, orchids, lilies, primula and many other flowers.The lowlands are full of tropical hardwoods. These get replaced by oaks and pine as the elevation increases. Further higher is the vegetation including larch, fir and juniper up to the tree line.The conservation area is where you will see 15 of Nepal’s 28 endemic flowering plants. Almost all the 30 kinds of rhododendron species are found here. This is also the area where you get to see 69 of the 250 orchids found in Nepal.Kanchanjunga Conservation Area consists of rich diversity of wildlife including the endangered snow leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, and red panda. Other animals in the area include the blue sheep, and many others.
3.Manaslu Conservation area
This is yet another conservation area in the mountain region.Declared on 28 December 1998,Manaslu Conservation Area is the third and the newest conservation area in Nepal.Bordering the Annapurna Conservation Area to the west and Tibetan Plateau on the north and the east, the Manasalu region lies in Gorkha District to the west of Kathmandu.Basically a trekking area, the regions altitude rises from a mere 600 m to 8163 m, the summit of Mt. Manasalu – the eighth highest peak in the world.Trekking to the Manasalu region generally starts from Arughat, between Gorkha and Dhading.Visitors here will have the opportunity to experience both nature and culture that would have otherwise disappeared had there been no conservation efforts.The region is full of pristine nature beckoning trekkers to explore more of it. The trekking route in the region follows the Budi Gandaki River before reaching the Larke Pass (5106 m) and crossing over into the Manang District of the Annapurna Conservation Area.As trekkers trudge through the rugged terrain, they can see the towering snow covered mountains to the north.There are over 20 species of birds and three species of reptiles. What provides cover to these fauna is over 200 species of plants, 11 types of forests, and over 50 species of useful plants.
From the beautiful scenery of the splendid Himalayan ranges and high altitude glacier lakes to rich biological and cultural resources, the area has a lot to offer to the trekkers. Most of the people here follow Buddhist religion and as a result, there are many cultural heritages like, largely the Buddhist monasteries like Shringi Gompain Bihi, Mu and Rachen Gompas in Chhekampur, etc. Also, the lamas from the monasteries have prohibited the locals to hunt the mild animals here which have helped to save and prosper the wildlife, including those that are near to extinct.